Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 1 of our new blog!

Since this is my first post I'd like to welcome you to our adventures!
After riding along for nearly a month and reporting back to friends and family what life on the road was like it was suggested that I blog about our adventures which has lead to the creation of this blog.  I do hope my sense of humor does not offend anyone out there! Please enjoy!


So here we are its Monday again, April 11, 2011. We've arrived at the terminal early to get a jump on the loads heading out.  


Our first load of the week has come in we're off to Disputanta, Va ok so its just down the road but we've got to get an empty to drag along with us to pick up a loaded trailer. Nice first trailer of the week hooked up just to find the last driver had dropped the trailer with a flat tire... back to the terminal for more rubber (they love to put more tires on for us...lol NOT) Then we'll be headed back up to Maruchan of Virginia (for those of you who don't know thats the Cup-O-Noodles plant) We will be taking a load of Maruchan to Breinigsville, PA.  Sounds simple enough right?  Nothing is ever as simple as it seems as I concluded last week:

In other news had a rough day this week.. oh wait not week just the last few 72 hours! lol We've run hard all week, got to VA last night from New Jersey dropped a load of drinks at Super Valu in Mechanicsville then into Richmond to pick up Cup of Noodles from Maruchan then returned to New Jersey last night. At some point through all the road construction and traffic we blew a tandem tire which seeing as we were not heavy it was tolerable but in the grand scheme of things a MUST replace NOW situation.  Its raining here again did I mention New Jersey is probably in my humble opinion the worst designed road system in the entire country with PA coming in a very close second and at times a tie breaker. That being said rain and all we stopped found a guy that was able and could change the tire immediately (of course an inside rear tandem that needs special equipment to change) as we needed to be at our next pickup like an hour ago... Did I mention its raining here AGAIN? Ya its raining.. and I'm in my silly sandals because I'm hoping for spring and will if I need to push the issue with my feet, I needed to go potty badly.. so OFF I trot across the parking lot where only trucks should trod... because its raining and the OIL in the parking lots gets a tad slippery when you prance across it in sandals.. On hands and knee I fell with all the grace and grandeur a moose sliding across an ice rink..and now nearly in tears and just so you know I NEVER cry in public rarely in private... I gathered all my stuff that flew out of my purse (yeah cause real truckers carry a purse with a pink tube of mace that is at the ready and a coffee cup...) I through all my junk back in my purse straighted my pink WV hoodie attempted a deep breath felt the stabbing pain up my hip that returned to settle as a stinging burning feeling in my knee cap and with all I could muster held my head up and continued on my way knowing that the truck that had stopped to let me pass by was still waiting and I had just made that guys day! 
I made it in to the bathroom, felt that twinge of "uh oh I'm not going to make it back to the truck what do I do..?" Decided to call Eddie.. he was still with the truck how was he going to help me? Eh, I decided I'd suck it up and hold my head up and make myself make it  back with my head held as high as I could!  I told Ed what had happened he had come to the building but didn't realize how badly I'd hurt me so he walked with that quick step he has cause you know he's handicapped right... argh! I got to the truck realized oh goodie I need to climb up there and I dunno if I can but I refuse to make a spectacle of myself!! Up I go.. hurting so badly I could hardly get to the bottle of Motrin and the first aid kit to see what kind of damage I'd done. First I need to change these clothes... really I'm that shallow?  So long story shortened I licked my wounds so to speak and lay down on the bed refusing to come out for the rest of the ride to the next shipper. 
Well because we got off 'course' with Ed's wench on the dashboard she needed to torture me (not Ed he's got nerves of steel!) she had us make our way through a 'village' or 'boro' or whatever they call a one horse town the size of a postage stamp.  I have decided that without a sedative I will NOT be driving any trucks into New Jersey unless expressly stating I will NOT get off the interstate PERIOD. And yes the wench on the dashboard made Ed do the trip in reverse to get  back to the interstate which we are now traveling along with the entire population of New Jersey.  We hope to make it to a truck stop in say 70 -100 miles of this lovely rain and traffic. 
How's this for God's sense of humor?  ..because now get this I have bathroom issues I have most of my life refused to use the restroom in public to do number 2 yeah that's gonna make for some serious pain and discomfort right? (Yes I have had the question put to me by my beloved "what are you afraid of someone may realize your 'poo' doesn't really smell like roses what do you expect bathrooms are actually used for?) Well I can honestly say I'm doing better with it all the time. And funnier still I have found my favorite places already that make me feel comfortable enough to proceed with the business I am trying to accomplish... anyhow back to God's sense of humor guess what we're hauling back to the great state of VA?  PRUNES all sorts of PRUNES!!! hahaaa pitted, whole, prune juice,chocolate prunes... ya this 'load' is SUNSWEET isn't that the funniest thing ever? 
Ok so enough of my potty humor how was your week?
Yes that was last week's summary I'm sure your all waiting to see what ill fate will befall us now! I will as time permits add a few photo's on this page of what life looks like out on the roads as what our living conditions are in the truck! 
Until next time God Bless!

3 comments:

  1. I am with you Pam in heart at least, I can't wait to read and see more! :) Happy Travels to you!
    anjie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sounds like your handling it so well. I for one can not stand to be on the road. I just want to click my heels and be where I need to be. So I must say I met many law inforcement officers in mg travels.

    ReplyDelete